SICKLE CELL MYTHS ABET STIGMA

In 2011 in my first semester of my final year at the university, I was seated in the lecture room holding a magazine with a photo of Mrs Ruth Nankanja Mukibi the founder and Executive Director of Sickle Cell Association of Uganda. By then she was 36 years old, my course mates asked me about the lady and I told them she was a sickler. Their uniform answer was that it she can’t be and I was just speaking ill about the lady. Their reasoning was that a person with sickle cell cannot live to celebrate their 9th birthday and if they live longer by God’s grace at least they do not make 12 years. I told them am also a sickler and am not dead. They were shocked. It was a difficult situation for me to confess because I did not know how I would be treated or what amount of stigmatization I was going receive.


I confessed being a sickler because I wanted to counter the myths and stereotype that comes with sickle cell disease, the people living with the disease and those who care for them. What I was waiting for was the harsh treatment I was going to receive from those people whom I had told that I have sickle cell. To my surprise their treatment was good. One of them who was just a colleague and a classmate from that time became my good friend and she always check on me to find out how am faring. Another classmate called a year after university and inquired about how to take care of her cousin who is also a sickler. What I had feared that my confession was going to haunt me has just turned out to be a blessing. I realized that these people were confined to the thinking that sicklers die early because they did not have anyone to counter and trash that myth.


Knowledge is power that is a universally accepted statement. A person who has been equipped with knowledge is better positioned to guide and also do the right thing. Myths, stereotypes, stigma and ignorance have all been erased by people who are well equipped with the right and useful knowledge


When I audit the last five years of my sickle cell advocacy, 8 out of 10 questions asked at every awareness session are about myths. It’s not surprising that sickle cell has remained one of the diseases that are poorly understood by the public. When it comes to our African society witchcraft and its association to the disease makes life of sicklers a menace.


I want to put the facts clear to counter the myths. Sickle cell awareness campaigns shall be smooth if the myths are countered and erased from the public domains.


Myth
Sickle cell is infectious and contagious.
Fact
This is one of the popular myths and has also greatly contributed to the stigma faced by people living with sickle cell disease Sickle cell is not contagious disease. It’s an inherited disease that passed from parents to the child. Just like skin colour which can not be changed when you sit, eat, play or sleep with someone with another colour also sickle cell can not be gotten by associating with someone with sickle cell disease.


Myth
Sickle cell patients die at 5, 9, 12, 16, 21, 25, 30
Fact
People living with sickle cell disease can live a normal life when taken care of well. Although their life expectancy may not be the same as other people but they can live longer. I remember Mzeei Bulasio Wamala a Ugandan who has been recorded as longest living sicklers who died in 2008 at the age of 78 years. It’s not true that people with sickle cell disease have an age ceiling which they can not live beyond. Most people are told that they will not live to celebrate their 5th birthdays, when they reach 5 they are told 9 after 9 its pushed to 12, 14, 16 19, 21, 30. Its only God who knows when a person will die even doctors don’t know. We should not believe the prophets of doom.


Myth
Sickle cell patients don’t bear children
Fact
This is a common “verse” for lack of better word being told to people with sickle cell. It’s common to find people with sickle cell confined in corners and have made to believe that they will never live to see the happiness of having their own babies. A person with sickle cell has the ability to conceive and bear children. There are a number of sicklers who have more than two children.


Every sickle cell awareness campaign should put a lot of effort on providing information that counters myths and sickle cell stereotypes.


Love Life!

Ssebandeke Ashiraf

2 comments:

  1. I am proud to be part of a local campaign against the stigma of sickle cell disease. I also say kudos to you for the great work. This piece was very helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm Trisha Nelson. I contracted HIV 4 years ago, I was told by my doctor that there's no possible cure for HIV/AIDS. I started taking my ARVs, My CD4 was 77 and the viral load was 112,450. I made research on a herbal remedy and I saw Dr. James Herbal mixed medicine, also I saw a lot of testimonials about him on how he uses His strong herbal mix medicine to cure HIV/AIDS. I contacted him and told him my problems, He told me not to be worried anymore that I will benefit and get cured of his herbal medicine for Hiv/Aids. I never doubted Him because I believed I will be cured as nature has the power to cure all kinds of sickness when herbal medicine is being used in the right proportion. He prepared his herbal drink and sent it to me, and I took it for 3 weeks morning and evening in a quantity he told me, after that, I went for a check-up and I was cured of HIV. his herbal mix medicine has NO SIDE EFFECT AND EASY TO DRINK, there's no special diet when taking Dr. James herbal mix medicine. He told me he got cures diseases like  Alzheimer's disease, Cancer, Bipolar disorder, Herpes, Hepatitis, Schizophrenia, Fibromyalgia. Dupuytren's disease, Desmoplastic, Diabetes, Coeliac disease, Cerebral Amyloid Angiopathy, Hpv, Weak Erection, Wart Remover. Ataxia, Arthritis, Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis, Adrenocortical carcinoma.Asthma, Allergic, Wart Remover, Melasma, Parkinson, perioral dermatitis, thyroid, HPV, ALS, KIDNEY DISEASES, SHINGLES., and more. You can reach him on his Email address  [Drjamesherbalmix@gmail.com]  thanks 

    ReplyDelete