WHAT IS SICKLE CELL DISEASE II?

Last week we started our discussions on Sickle Cell Disease. I gave you and introduction on the basics of Sickle Cell Disease. If you missed it, click HERE to read. It is a series of information that will be building up from where we left off last, hence it’s important to start from the beginning.
As many of you know, Sickle Cell Disease is a foreign term in Kenya. Not because we don’t have cases in Kenya but because there is not much awareness of the disease within our country. Awareness plays an importance of ending ignorance on a certain issue. And in this case creating awareness of Sickle Cell Disease ends the ignorance brought about by sheer oblivion of information on this social issue.

What I’m’ trying to say in very many words is this; we will not be able to drive change without identifying the need of that required change. Why do we need change?! And we will not identify the need without creating awareness of the many lives lost to Sickle Cell Disease and not to forget the ones who continue suffering due to lack of information and support systems/policies.
Sickle Cell awareness creation seeks to end the viscous cycle of misinformation and death of a community. This is by the simple fact of providing knowledge to a community to enable you to make informed decisions about yourself, your family and your community.

Last week I mentioned that few people in Kenya know about Sickle Cell and even fewer know about their Sickle Cell status. It is important to know your status as it helps you know whether you carry the Sickle Cell gene.  This will help you be aware of the risk of having children with Sickle Cell Disease.
It is most important so as to be screened to help in diagnosis and confirmation and also to monitor any treatment administered by doctors.

I need to know if I carry the gene. How can I be tested?
A simple blood test called the hemoglobin electrophoresis can be done by your doctor or hospital. This test will tell if you are a carrier of the sickle cell trait or if you have the disease. We certainly don’t like giving you half bake information that may be inaccurate; please exercise patience with us as we conduct our research. Stay tuned for a deeper discussion on where you and your family can get the test done in Kenya and at how much. We are still conducting research on where we can direct people and what are the methods and cost variability between the different health center labs.   We will also give you an overview of methods of evaluating the type and amounts of various normal and abnormal hemoglobin types. This will be discussed in a later post on April 1st 2015. I promise :)

What will this test likely tell me? Are there different types of sickle cell disease?
This test will let you know of which gene/genes of Sickle Cell you carry. There are three common types of sickle cell disease
·         Hemoglobin SS or sickle cell anemia
·         Hemoglobin SC disease or Sickle Cell Carrier
·         Hemoglobin sickle Beta-Thalassemia


You now know what Sickle Cell Disease. Tell me why  it is so bad; What complications are associated with Sickle Cell Disease
Complications from the Sickle Cells blocking blood flow and early breaking apart may include but not limited to:
·         pain episodes
·         strokes
·         increased infections
·         leg ulcers
·         bone damage
·         yellow eyes or jaundice
·         early gallstones
·         lung blockage
·         kidney damage and loss of body water in urine
·         painful erections in men (priapism)
·         blood blockage in the spleen or liver (sequestration)
·         eye damage
·         low red blood cell counts (anemia)
·         delayed growth

Symptomatic Expressions of Sickle Cell Anaemia


What can be done to help prevent these complications?
Sickle cell patients should be under the care of a medical doctor that understands Sickle Cell Disease. All newborn babies detected with Sickle Cell Disease should be placed on daily penicillin to prevent serious infections. All of the childhood immunizations should be given plus the pneumococcal vaccine. Parents should know how to check for a fever because this signals the need for a quick medical check-up for serious infection. The following are general guidelines to keep the sickle cell patient healthy:
·         Taking the vitamin folic acid (folate) daily to help make new red cells
·         Daily penicillin until age six to prevent serious infection
·         Drinking plenty of water daily (8-10 glasses for adults)
·         Avoiding too hot or too cold temperatures
·         Avoiding over exertion and stress
·         Getting plenty of rest
·         Getting regular check-ups from knowledgeable health care providers

Patients and families should watch for the following conditions that need an urgent medical evaluation:
·         Fever
·         Chest pain
·         Shortness of Breath
·         Increasing tiredness
·         Abdominal swelling
·         Unusual headache
·         Any sudden weakness or loss of feeling
·         Pain that will not go away with home treatment
·         Priapism (painful erection that will not go down)
·         Sudden vision change

Well, there you go. I trust this explanation gives you a bit of introspect on what Sickle Cell Disease is how it manifests in the body’s of the Sickle Cell Warriors. Do you know anyone who has Sickle Cell Disease? Kindly comment below and tell us if this article has helped you to understand what they go through.
Are you a sickle cell warrior? Let us know what new thing you've learnt today about Sickle Cell.  Leave us a comment or a question that you may want us to cover on this series.
Stay tuned for the next exiting posts that will look into the origins of Sickle Cell. Find out the oldest record of Sickle Cell known to man. Until then  


Love Life!

Lea




2 comments:

  1. Am Alex from USA,
    There is a cure for Sickle Cell Disease,
    My Son once had sickle cell Disease he was always sick every month, and his growth was also very slow. he was very intelligent in school and all his teachers loves him for that. when ever he is sick, I feel the whole world is falling on me.
    I got the permanent cure from Dr Alegbe, for my son. He took the medication for good one month, and from then still now he does not get any fever again. and his body system is strong. he does not get sick easily. Dr Steve has really made me happy in life again. and I promise to tell the whole world about him. I never believed my Son can live long to this extent, but now his is living fine and healthy like the other kids. Now I believed Sickle cell Disease can be cured. any one with such issues can contact the Doctor on dralegbe@gmail.com or Whats-app him on +1(518)-675-6082

    ReplyDelete
  2. THERE IS A CURE TO SICKLE CELL ANEMIA, AM A LIVING TESTIMONY.

    I write to you with great joy in my heart how Dr Alegbe John turned my life around. I was born a sickle cell patient through the gene- type of my parents and became a carrier which led to immense crises all through my growing up years. This particular ailment was called rheumatism, the pain of the bone which I was told was caused by difficult circulation of blood in the vein axis.

    Growing up was like hell because apart from the pain and the fear of it, I also lived in bondage for years before Dr Alegbe intervention.

    I was restricted from doing what my mates could do, there was a lot of don’t touch, don’t eat, don’t go, don’t wear by the doctor and I lived all through this period on drugs. I was made to know that without this pill, my life will would finally come to an end. It was total bondage.

    During this period of pain, I would cry, shout, throw myself to the ground, destroy things I could find around me just because of restlessness the pain caused. My Dad got the contact of Dr Alegbe from the internet and he emailed him told him about me and made purchase from his product. I too the medication for one month and he always call to know how am feeling, that was how i was cured completely. any one can reach him On his gmail address at dralegbe@gmail.com

    I stopped taking my drugs because Dr Alegbe John has made me completely cured, I no longer feel pain neither do I remember how it feels.

    ReplyDelete