Sickle Cell Symptom #3 - PAIN

This is a story of pain.
Have you ever been in so much pain that you call out to the gods to take your life?
Well, for 23 years I've been living with this kind of pain.

My earliest memory was of feeling this tightness in my chest. At 4 years old, diagnosed with Sickle Cell Anemia and admitted for Pneumonia, I didn’t know what this discomfort was. Feeling the weight of the world on my chest, pulling and tugging from either side, I could not fully understand why my body was punishing me this way. Breathing was strenuous and uncomfortable, but all I wanted was someone to tell me all will be well, and that I didn’t have to feel this way ever again.
But like the many other Sickle Cell crises to come, I was given a combination of pethidine and morphine, very heavy pain medication that put me immediately to sleep as if the pain never existed. This is the kind of experience Sickle Cell warriors go through. Living in post trauma and constant fear of not knowing when this pain will come and if you'll pull through to the other side of a pain free body.

PAIN - Sickle Cell Crises

Pain episodes (crises) can occur without warning when sickle cells block blood flow and decrease oxygen delivery. This damages the cells in the affected tissue, resulting in the tissue becoming swollen, which irritates nearby nerve endings. People describe this pain as sharp, intense, stabbing, or throbbing. Severe crises can be even more uncomfortable than post-surgical pain or childbirth.
Pain can strike almost anywhere in the body and in more than one spot at a time. But the pain often occurs in the
  • Lower back
  • Legs
  • Arms
  • Abdomen
  • Chest
  • pelvis
  • ribs
  • spine
Most pain episodes do not have an obvious reason for their occurrence.  But here are some possible causes and things that your child should avoid if possible:
  • Swimming in cold water
  • Being out in cold weather
  • Getting too hot
  • Getting dehydrated from not drinking enough fluids
  • Colds and infections
  • Overdoing it—not getting enough sleep and rest
  • Drinking alcohol or smoking
  • Menstruation (getting your period)
  • Stress
  • Being around second-hand smoke 

Treating Pain at Home

Remember:  pain is a sign that something is wrong. Firs identify the cause of pain or the trigger and control or eliminate it. Pain is best treated using a variety of non-drug treatments along with medication
For example, you may need to guide yourself by using relaxation techniques, even if you're already familiar with how to do it. Other examples of non-drug treatments include massage, hot or cold packs, relaxation and guided imagery, distraction, music, food remedies and also reading to yourself. 
In addition one should drink lots of water and take pain reducing herbal treatment and foods.


10003 Natural PainKillers

To all Sickle Cell Warriors, no one can claim to know more pain than you. However I am here to urge you that even though pain is what you leave with, it doesn’t have to dictate the way you live your life. Don’t let the discomfort dull the light in your life and destroy the great parts that make us who we are; our ability to be tender with ourselves and humanity and the clarity to always find hope
I have been able to turn pain into a pillar of strength. By understanding that I am made stronger by it, I use it as a motivator to better my health and life. Pain is a signal and an indicator that the body gives to show us there is something wrong, and we need to heed and listen to rectify that which is causing our bodies to scream in pain.

I have lived 3 years now without severe debilitating pain. I still experience pain here and there but manageable pain. In this journey of ascension to a healthy pain free body, I take care of my physical, emotional and physiological body through what I consume. This is due to consuming a healthy organic and natural plant based only diet, to deliberately allowing high positive wholesome information to be fed into my mind. The conscientious choice of only feeding my body life giving, high frequency and positive energy has kept me medication and hospital free for 3 years now.
Start today, start now.  Uplift yourself by the choices you make. Don’t let pain control the direction of your life, let it be an indicator for making better choices in how you live your life. Take a deep breath and let it go!

Comment below and share what your understanding of pain is and how you manage it.



10003 Pain Quote. Photo Credit: Mutua Matheka


No comments:

Post a Comment